Jftftp gears! of ^eeb=£kitomg
Western iStortfj Carolina
Z tf X
Ui K M
M l-» H
-j <j\ X
MISS LOCHIE RANKIN ENTERS THE
After an illness of three weeks Miss
Lochie Rankin passed away in a sana-
torium in Nashville, Tenn. She who had
braved dangers and hardships, and en-
dured "the strain of toil and fret of care"
MISS LOCHIE RANKIN
The first messenger of the Woman's For-
eign Missionary Society, M. E. Church,
South, to carry the glad tidings across
for fifty years on the foreign field, found
a quiet haven at evening time where lov-
ing hands and tender hearts ministered
to her every need.
The end came without apparent suffer-
ing, for she gently fell asleep in perfect
At a time when woman's work for wo-
man was foreign in every sense of the
word and our great church leaders
A letter from Mrs. B. W. Lipscomb
"Her funeral service, which was held
in Wightman Chapel, was conducted by
Dr. Cram, assisted by Bishop DuBose.
Mrs. Perry as vice president of the Coun-
cil paid a loving tribute for the women
of the church. The burial was in Wood-
lawn cemetery in a beautiful new plot
purchased by the board of missions. The
missionary women of Nashville express-
ed their tribute of love by floral offer-
ings and their presence at her funeral.
We wished that you and every mission-
ary woman might have been in the com-
pany that paid her honor.
It seems a happy providence that
brought Miss Rankin back after 49 years
in China to the city of her birth for these
two happy years in the Scarritt family
and that we of the official body, to whom
she was a pleasure and a blessing, could
minister to her. And wasn't it appropri-
ate that she, our first missionary, was
the first one buried from Wightman
There will be appropriate tributes in
the Voice at the earliest possible date,
but we felt you would like to know these
details of her going at once. It would
be appropriate if you could pass the mes-
sage through your conference and get
every auxiliary at its first meeting after
receiving this information to pay the
tribute of a few moments of silence and
a prayer of thanksgiving for her life and
The concluding words of the scripture
readings in the ritual never seemed so
full of meaning: "Establish thou the
work of our hands," and "Be ye stead-
fast, unmovable, always abounding in
the work of the Lord."
(72. T^c. SL
■kw — ^- I
kk i — , , — mi
\ H '
f > \ ■-■.•■■■^^^■B
^♦AaaasiH- Q v
"And ye shall hallow the fiftieth
year, and proclaim liberty through-
out all the land unto all the inhabit-
ants thereof ; it shall be jubilee unto
you" — Leviticus 25:10.
Miss Lochie Rankin, Missionary to
MRS. LUCY H. ROBERTSON
For thirty-six years President of the Western North Carolina
Conference Woman's Missionary Society
FIFTY YEARS OF
HISTORICAL SKETCH OF
WOMAN'S MISSIONARY SOCIETY
WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA
Compiled and Written
Mrs. W. R. Harris
Woman's Missionary Society, Western North
To Our Pioneers
who laid the foundations of the missionary structure upon
which we have builded during the past fifty years and upon
which we will continue to build.
We are greatly indebted to the District Historians,
Mrs. W. W. Hagood, Mrs. G. W. Whitsett, Mrs. W. P.
Wheeler, Mrs. W. P. Horton, Mrs. A. R. Lazenby, Mrs.
H. A. Sigmon, Mrs. H. D. Secrest and Miss Bertha Lee,
also Mrs. Mattie H. Stewart, of Charlotte, and Mrs. J. Le-
Grande Everett, of Rockingham, for the invaluable service
they have rendered in the collection of missionary data for
By /I BS
This little volume has been printed with the hope that
we Missionary women may have a fuller knowledge and
greater appreciation of our rich inheritance.
Fifty years have passed since the women of Southern
Methodism were given the authority by the General Con-
ference to organize the Woman's Missionary Society
throughout the bounds of the Church. The women of what
is now the Western North Carolina Conference were among
the very first to take advantage of this legislation. The
record they have made since then has been so noteworthy
that we are glad to pay tribute to the Societies and Women
who have had a part in it. Not only is this true, but the
reading of the story of their achievements will bring inspir-
ation to us, and will help us to do the work of today as they
did the work of yesterday.
This little record contains the names of many whose
memory we would not willingly let die. May their mantle
fall on us!
I think we were extremely fortunate in securing the
services of Mrs. W. R. Harris as Historian, and I want to
take this occasion in the name of the Conference to thank
her for the faithful way in which she has done the work.
Mrs. C. C. Weaver.
Chapter I — Our Beginning 7
Chapter II — Organization of Foreign Missionary
Chapter III — Home Mission Society 16
Chapter IV — The Union in 1912 at Gastonia 20
Chapter V — Pioneer Missionary Societies 22
Chapter VI — Pioneer Conference Officers 30
Chapter VII — Juniors and Young People 44
Chapter VIII — Our Missionaries 50
Chapter IX- — Brevard Institute 55
Chapter X — Belle Bennett Memorial 57
Board Meetings 63
"The law of Missions is the law of love, justice,
conquest and expansion. The history of Missions
is the history of miracles, heroism, prayer, auda-
city, sublime faith and wonderful devotion."
— Dr. Philip Gone Fletcher.
Great interest always centers around the beginnings of
movements, institutions and organizations that prove useful
or successful, so we feel that a little reminiscing in regard
to the early days of the Woman's Foreign and Home Mis-
sion Societies, which have, in later years, almost lost their
original identity in the Woman's Missionary Society, will
not be amiss.
Many of us know how our missionary work began.
We know how those consecrated women, of deep piety and
undaunted faith, and with a far-seeing vision, realized that
the women of Southern Methodism should be enlisted in
the missionary work, not only that they might be of valiant
service to the Church, but that they might get the inspiration
and blessing that would come through a definite work.
We know, how at the General Conference in 1874 those
earnest women presented a Memorial asking for authority
to organize a Woman's Department of Missions — -a request
which was referred to a Committee and never heard from
again. With confident faith and with a courage that did
not falter, the second Memorial found its way to the next
General Conference at its session in Atlanta in 1878. This
Memorial was also referred to a Committee, which after
eight days brought in a favorable report which was adopted
by the Conference.
The following day, May 23rd, 1878, in the First
Methodist Church in Atlanta, Ga., the first meeting of the
Woman's Missionary Society was held with fifty-four names
registered as charter members (Mrs. N. H. D. Wilson of
N. C. Conference was one of the members enrolled).
Plans were made which provided for a General Execu-
tive Association, Conference and Auxiliary Societies. The
officers and twenty-three women as Managers were named
by the Bishops: President, Mrs. Juliana Hayes, of Balti-
more, Md.; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. D. H. Mc-
Gavock, Nashville, Tenn.; Treasurer, Mrs. James Whit-
worth, Nashville, Tenn. The Vice-Presidents, eight in
number, w T ere the wives of the eight Bishops. (Of that
number only Mrs. M. D. Wightman, of South Carolina,
served as President, succeeding Mrs. Hayes.)
Previous to this authorization, in various sections of
Southern Methodism, through letters from Mrs. J. W.
Lambuth, missionary to China, the hearts of the women had
been stirred with a desire to make contributions in service
and gifts for the spread of the Gospel, and groups of women
had been formed in a number of churches, but working
apart with no definite plans. These groups, twenty-four in
number, formed the nucleus for the beginning of the legally
Those were the beginning days with hard and difficult
problems to be met, prejudice and opposition to be overcome,
new trails to be blazed and much creative work to be done,
but with the same courage, and by the same heroic effort
that had secured the authorization, the movement went for-
ward, the women believing that God had called them to a
special work and that He would open the way for them.
Within seven months after the General Conference
meeting in Atlanta, the North Carolina Conference
Woman's Missionary Society, and the Holston Conference
Woman's Missionary Society (of which the W. N. C. Con-
ference was then a part ) were organized. On October 23rd,
1878, the Holston Conference Society was organized, and
though we have been unable to get only the most meager
details, we find that Mrs. J. E. Ray, of Asheville, was
chosen Vice-President, and Mrs. F. A. Butler, whose ad-
dress was also given as Asheville, was elected Correspond-
ing Secretary. And four auxiliaries, now in the W. N. C.
Conference, were enrolled at this meeting. These were
Franklin, Asheville, Hendersonville and Waynesville,
totaling a membership of 109, with contributions less than
In the closing days of November, 1878, the North
Carolina Conference held its annual session in Charlotte,
N. C. Many of the leading women of the State were in
attendance and being desirous of becoming a part of the
Woman's Missionary work, conferred with Dr. A. W.
Wilson, at that time Missionary Secretary, later Bishop,
and asked him to organize them, a request which he gladly
granted on December 1st, 1878.
The meeting was presided over by Mrs. N. H. D.
Wilson, temporary Chairman and Mrs. F. D. Swindell
acted as Recording Secretary. The following officers were
elected: President, Mrs. N. H. D. Wilson, of Greensboro,
N. C; Vice-President, Mrs. J. A. Cunninggim, Wilson,
N. C. ; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. F. M. Bumpass,
Greensboro, N. C. ; Recording Secretary, Miss Blanche
Fentress, Raleigh, N. C; and Treasurer, Mrs. E. J. Lilly,
Fayetteville, N. C.
These faithful women went at once to work and at the
close of the first year nine societies were reported with a
membership of 199.
At the first meeting in Wilson in 1879, nine Vice-
Presidents were named to have charge of the work of the
Districts, but in 1886 District Secretaries were substituted
for Vice-Presidents. For four years unsuccessful attempts
were made to hold the annual meetings in connection with
the annual Conferences, but this plan was given up in 1883,
and the first annual meeting, separate from the Conference
session, was held at Durham in November of that year.
Here the women enlarged their plans and grew more in-
A real event in the lives of the Holston and North
Carolina Conference Woman's Missionary Societies, during
their twelfth year, was the formation of the Western North
Carolina Conference from territory belonging to these two
Conferences. This action of the General Conference, seem-
ingly, might have weakened the work in the two Conference
Societies, because of the transfer to the new Conference of a
number of strong and important auxiliaries, but instead it
resulted in the creation of interest and awakening of enthu-
siasm in the new Conference, and an increased effort and
co-operation on the part of the two "Mother Conferences"
has stimulated the interest resulting in a wonderful growth
and development which is still maintained by these two
Organization of Foreign Missionary Society
"The greatest eras in the history of Christianity
have been its periods of missionary expansion; in
its darkest ages, the bright and redeeming features
have been the progress of its missions."
—James Cannon, III.
In May, 1890, at the meeting of the General Con-
ference in St. Louis, Mo., there was created the Western
North Carolina Conference, which incorporated all of
North Carolina west of the Blue Ridge mountains — terri-
tory which, heretofore, had been included in the Holston
and North Carolina Conferences.
Following this action of the General Conference, on
August 6th, 1890, twenty-four women who had caught the
SALISBURY METHODIST CHURCH
Where tin' Forelgm Missionary Society was organized in 1800 anrt
the Home Mission Society in 1901
vision and whose hearts burned with missionary zeal and
enthusiasm, pursuant to a call which had been issued,
gathered in the Methodist Church at Salisbury, N. C, and
organized the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society of
the Western North Carolina Conference, taking as a
nucleus for the organization the societies which had been
transferred from the Holston and North Carolina Confer-
ences, many of these being among the first societies or-
ganized in Southern Methodism.
The women attending that meeting and making pos-
sible the organization (the great majority of whom have
gone to their reward), women, whom we may rightly call
our Pioneer leaders were: Mrs. Frances Bumpass, Mrs.
Lucy H. Robertson, Mrs. J. E. Ray, Mrs. E. E. Chaston,
Mrs. E. J. Ector, Mrs. R. M. B/Ellington, Mrs. D. B.
Coltrane, Mrs. L. L. Hendren, Mrs. C. C. Kennedv, Mrs.
H. T. Hudson, Mrs. W. M. Robbins, Mrs. W. R.' Odell,
Mrs. C. A. Reynolds, Mrs. Sallie Thomas, Mrs. A. M.
Adams, Mrs. j. L. Price, Mrs. Northern, Mrs. T. A.
Coughenour, Mrs. Sherrill, Miss Sallie Whisnant (now
Mrs. W. W. Hagood), Miss Belle Hall, Miss Lillie Rowe
(now Mrs. A. M. Frye) and Miss Amanda V. Lee.
Visitors on this occasion were Mrs. Lucy A. Cunning-
gim, President of the North Carolina Conference Woman's
Missionary Society, and Mrs. W. S. Black, whose work with
the children of the State had endeared her to all who knew
her and won for her the affectionate title of "Aunt Mary."
The last meeting of the Woman's Foreign Missionary
Society of the North Carolina Conference, of which we had
been a part, was held in Tryon Street Church, Charlotte,
N. C, in 1889. Two officers of that Conference Society
were within the bounds of the new Western North Carolina
Conference, Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson, Vice-President and
Mrs. F. M. Bumpass, Corresponding Secretary, who had
held this office from the time of the organization of the
Conference in 1878, and who was chosen for the same office
in the new Conference holding it until her death in 1898.
Mrs. L. H. Robertson, of Greensboro, N. C, acted as
temporary Chairman, and was later in the session chosen
President, an office which she held continuously for thirty-
six years, resigning in 1926 and succeeded by the present
President, Mrs. Charles C. Weaver. Miss Amanda V. Lee,
of Shelby, recorded the minutes of the meeting which she
turned over to Mrs. John R. Brooks, of Reidsville, who was
chosen Secretary, serving in that capacity for a period of
ten years. Mrs. W. R. Odell, of Concord, N. C, was the
first Treasurer, and it is interesting to note that her first
report showed $152.70 in the treasury. Compare that with
the splendid financial report of 1927, with its total con-
tributions of $126,095.15 and see what splendid results
have been accomplished during the thirty-eight years of our
Conference life. How the small amounts of 1890 have in-
creased, like leaven, until now the Conference stands third
among the Conferences of Southern Methodism! We
women of the Western North Carolina Conference should
not despise the day of small things, for God has taken the
efforts of the few and multiplied them until today we stand
as a great organization going forward in the work that He
has committed into our hands.
The other officers chosen at this meeting were: Mrs.
J. E. Ray, of /Vsheville, N. C, Vice-President; Mrs. F. M.
Bumpass, of Greensboro, N. C, Corresponding Secretary;
Miss Amanda V. Lee, of Shelby, N. C, Superintendent of
Juvenile Work; and Mr. W. R. Odell, of Concord, N. C,
Auditor. The following were the District Secretaries named
at the meeting:
Asheville District, Mrs. J. E. Ray, Asheville, N. C.
Charlotte District, Miss Sallie Whisnant, Charlotte, N. C.
Franklin District, Mrs. S. F. Ferguson, Franklin, N. C.
Greensboro District, Mrs. L. L. Hendren, Winston, N. C.
Mount Airy District, Mrs. T. L. Gwyn, Elkin, N. C.
Salisbury District, Miss Mittie Lanier, Salisbury, N. C.
Shelby District, Mrs. H. T. Hudson, Shelby, N. C.
Statesville District, Mrs. W. M. Robbins, Statesville, N. C.
Trinity District, Mrs. Sallie Thomas, Thomasville, N. C.
Mrs. F. M. Bumpass was elected a delegate to the
Woman's Board of Missions, with Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson
as alternate. In this connection it is interesting to note that
Mrs. Bumpass was a regular attendant at the Board meeting
for twenty years, and always brought back to her Confer-
ence messages that were inspirational, helpful and in-
There were others associated with us in our early days
whose labors of love we cannot forget, among them, Mrs.
J. W. Alspaugh, long time Treasurer; Mrs. W. H. Leith,
Superintendent of Juvenile Work for five years; Mrs. J. H.
Weaver, successor to Mrs. Leith and Superintendent of
Juvenile W T ork for eleven years, known and loved as
"Mother Weaver"; Mrs. N. S. Davis, Vice-President and
Auditor; and Mrs. L. W. Crawford, Corresponding Secre-
tary for seventeen years and Editor of Woman's Page in
North Carolina Christian Advocate for many years.
The Constitution and By-Laws for the new Conference
were drafted by a Committee composed of Mrs. J. E. Ray,
Mrs. H. T. Hudson and Mrs. W. M. Robbins.
Seventeen societies ranking as Pioneers were trans-
ferred to the Western North Carolina Conference from
Holston and North Carolina Conferences, viz. : Frank-
lin, Hendersonville, Asheville, W 7 aynesville, Weaverville,
Franklin Children and Weaverville "Forget-Me-Nots" ;
Greensboro, Salisbury, Mocksville, Rutherfordton, Win-
ston, Hickory, Ansonville, Greensboro Female College,
Charlotte and Statesville.* Others coming into the new
Conference and whose organization dates back to the earlier
years of our work were: Newton (1881), High Point
(1880), Marion (1880), Reidsville (1880), Pineville
(1882) and others perhaps of which we have no records,
but who through the years have contributed their best efforts
to the success of the work and have gone steadily forward,
each year's record better than the preceding one.
The first meeting of the Conference was held in Ashe-
ville in 1891 and showed an increase in offerings from
$152.70 reported at organization meeting to $5,325.38,
which included a bequest of $2,000.00. A gratifying in-
crease in members and organizations was also reported
*The two latter societies for some reason were not listed in the
Conference records, but have established from their own records the
right to be listed as Pioneers.
making our statistics read: Auxiliaries, 64; Members,
1,374; Bright Jewel Bands, 42 with a membership of 1,736,
making a total of 3,100 members and subscribers to
Woman's Missionary Advocate, 265.
The Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. F. M. Bumpass,
sounded a note of optimism in the closing words of her
report as she declared "our work advances wherever there
are zealous workers. In some sections the rocks of prejudice
and the hard soil of indifference and ignorance make the
work more difficult, but the fire of loving zeal and the
mellowing influence of the gospel must finally triumph over
these. Today we sing a song of praise for what God has
accomplished by our feeble instrumentality, and we unite
our petitions to be endued with power from on high, that
promised power of the Holy Ghost, which we need to
qualify us for the mighty work to which we are called."
A feature of this meeting was the establishment of the
Frances Bumpass Lectureship Fund of $2,500 in honor of
her who, perhaps was the pioneer spirit in the missionary
work of North Carolina.
The meeting of 1892 which was held in Statesville had
several interesting features to record, among them and of
special inspirational interest were the messages brought
through the missionary sermons delivered by Dr. W. R.
Lambuth, a visitor to the Conference, who, the minutes tell
us "held his hearers spellbound" with the wonderful story
of gospel achievements in the fair land of Japan, showing
how the work beckons the Woman's Board to extend her
The meetings of the years that followed had their
interesting features and showed the gains in membership,
organizations and contributions that came year after year,
but upon which we cannot dwell in this limited history of
The Home Mission Society
"Ye shall be witnesses unto me, both in Jeru-
salem, and in all Judea and in Samaria and unto
the uttermost parts of the earth"
In May, 1886, the General Conference authorized the
Board of Church Extension to organize a Woman's Depart-
ment to collect funds for parsonage building. This or-
ganization was known as the "Woman's Department of
Church Extension" until May, 1890, when the women,
eager for an extension of their activities presented a
Memorial to the General Conference asking for an enlarge-
ment of the powers of the Society. Granting this request
the scope of the Society was enlarged to include Home
Missions and the name was changed to the Woman's
Parsonage and Home Mission Society. The general work
of this society was conducted by twelve women known as the
Central Committee. In 1898 the organization became the
Woman's Home Mission Society, and to take the place of
the Central Committee, the Woman's Board of Home Mis-
sions was constituted. As soon as this name was assumed
helpers were appointed throughout the connection to pro-
mote the cause of Home Missions. In 1899, at the
preacher's Conference in Concord, N. C, Mrs. M. J.
Branner was named as leader of this work in Western North
In 1901 another band of interested missionary women
met and Salisbury was again the chosen place of meeting.
These women saw the need to work in the Lord's vineyard
which lies nearer to us than beyond the seas, and an organi-
zation for home work was effected — The Woman's Home
Mission Society of the Western North Carolina Conference.
In connection with this organization we find those
splendid workers Mrs. M. J. Branner, Mrs. T. F. Marr,
Mrs. James Atkins, Mrs. J. D. Arnold, Mrs. F. H. E. Ross,
MISS. M. J. BRANjVER
First President of the Home Mission Society, serving in that
capacity for :i iiiiiiilu'ir of years
Mrs. W. L. Nicholson, Mrs. J. K. Norfleet and others, ready
to serve wherever their Master called. Only 374 members
were reported at the first meeting, and the total amount
raised for all purposes was $381.27, but in May, 1912, the
last meeting as a Home Mission Society the membership
was given as 1,831 and the total offerings more than
$8,000.00. Mrs. M. J. Branner was the first President,
holding office for many years, and was succeeded by Mrs.
T. F. Marr, who was President at the time of the union
with the Foreign Missionary Society in 1912.
The discouragement that came to those women in the
beginning is forcibly expressed in the report of the President
at the fourth annual meeting held in Charlotte in 1905,
when she declared, "Our women were slow to recognize the
need of a connectional society. At our first annual meeting
held in Salisbury in 1901 we had only two Conference
officers, no District Secretaries and only seven societies.
''Despite these discouragements we were fortunate in
securing at that time our capable Treasurer, Mrs. F. H. E.
Ross, and also favored by the presence and help of Miss
Mary Helm, Editor of 'Our Homes.' At this critical stage
in our history it was well that the few workers did not grow
weary and faint-hearted, but with a courage inspired by
faith in Him who had promised that 'in due season we shall
reap if we faint not,' efforts were renewed, parsonages were
built and furnished, boxes of supplies sent to families of
preachers laboring in hard mission charges, the sick and
imprisoned visited, religious instruction given in mothers'
meetings and in cottage prayer meetings, and in many other
ways the cause of Christ was aided.
"Our second session convening in Winston in 1903
found that the work had gone ahead beyond all expecta-
tions. The following cheering message from Mrs. R. W.
MacDonnell, Home Mission Board Secretary, heartened us
and gave us new spirit: T send congratulations for the work
accomplished by the Western North Carolina Conference
Society. Excepting Holston and Florida Conferences I do
not believe we have had a more rapid growth in any of the
Conference societies this year.' "
MIJS. F. H. E. ROSS
For .tears Home Mission Treasurer and for fifteen years
Treasurer of Woman's missionary Council
This organization continued to function for eleven
years when it united with the Woman's Foreign Missionary
Society and the two became the Woman's Missionary
Society of the Western North Carolina Conference.
The Union in 1912 at Gastonia
"Uniting our efforts for the furtherance of the
cause, remembering that there is a place and a
definite work for each. By one spirit we are bap-
tized into one body."
At the twenty-second annual meeting of the Woman's
Foreign Missionary Society, which was held at Gastonia,
in 1912, the union of the two societies ( Foreign and Home)
was consummated, by a joint commission of twenty-four
women, twelve from the Home and twelve from the Foreign,
who were empowered to act.
The following composed the Unification Committee:
Home representatives, Mrs. James Atkins, Miss Florence
Blackwell, Mrs. H. A. Dunham, Mrs. P. T. Durham, Miss
Cora Farp, Mrs. T. F. England, Mrs. T. F. Marr, Mrs.
W. L. Nicholson, Mrs. J. K. Norfleet, Mrs. L. N. Presson,
Mrs. L. D. Thompson and Mrs. J. H. Weaver. Foreign
representatives: Mrs. I. lid Albright, Mrs. L. W. Craw-
ford, Mrs. W. W. Hagood, Mrs. W^ R. Harris, Mrs. G. G.
Harley, Mrs. M. B. Goodwin, Mrs. W. C. Houston, Mrs.
D. M. Litaker, Mrs. L. H. Martin, Mrs. Frank Martin,
Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson and Mrs. Richard Wills.
Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson was elected Chairman of the
Committee and Mrs. Plato Durham, Secretary. The report
on Unification from the Woman's Home Mission Society
was read by Mrs. James Atkins. Upon motion the Com-
mittee decided to recommend union. This motion was sub-
mitted to the Conference as a whole and with only one dis-
senting voice was carried, thus, as Miss Daisy Davies ex-
pressed it, "bringing the missionary family into one room
which had heretofore been occupying two rooms under the
same roof. 7
By this union much duplicative work was eliminated,
a closer relationship between the two departments was
brought about, +he entire membership determined to step
out on broader lines, dominated wholly by the true mis-
sionary spirit, the one aim being to glorify God.
Officers from both Home and Foreign societies were
chosen, viz.: President, Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson, Greens-
boro; First Vice-President, Mrs. G. G. Harley, Concord;
Second Vice-President, Mrs. L. H. Martin, Greensboro;
Third Vice-President, Miss Cora Earp, Mount Airy;
Fourth Vice-President, Mrs. H. A. Dunham, Asheville;
Corresponding Secretary (Foreign Department), Mrs.
L. W. Crawford, Greensboro; Corresponding Secretary
(Home Department), Mrs. James Atkins , Waynesville;
Treasurer (Foreign Department), Mrs. P. N. Peacock,
Salisbury; Treasurer (Home Department), Mrs. R. L.
Hoke, Canton; Recording Secretary, Mrs. Plato Durham,
Winston-Salem; Distributor Literature, Mrs. W. C.
Houston, Concord; Superintendent Supplies, Mrs. J. L.
Woltz, Mt. Airy; Editor and Press Superintendent, Mrs.
W. L. Nicholson, Charlotte; Assistant Press Superinten-
dent, Miss Helen Brem, Charlotte; Auditor, Mr. A. L.
Pioneer Missionary Societies
FRANKLIN — This society has the distinction of be-
ing one of the very first if not the first society to be organized
in Southern Methodism, the date of its organization being
May 9th, 1877, one year before the General Conference
authorization of our Woman's Work. The society was
organized by Rev. Dan Atkins, at that time Presiding Elder
of the Franklin District in the Holston Conference. The
meeting was held at the church and the officers chosen were:
President, Mrs. Mary Isabella Siler, who was for years
actively identified with the missionary work and whose life
certificate bore the signature of Bishop Soule; Vice-Presi-
dent, Mrs. C. D. Smith; Recording Secretary, Miss Mary
Johnston (now Mrs. W. N. Airman J ; Corresponding Secre-
tary, Mrs. Dan Atkins; Treasurer, Miss Allie Nolan (now
Mrs. J. O. Harbison). There were nineteen charter mem-
bers and this society was one of several that Mrs. D. H.
McGavock reported as "the first co-operative effort ever
attempted by the women of Southern Methodism."
Eight of the charter members still live and three of
them have served in official capacities for twenty years con-
secutively; Mrs. D. S. Bryson as President of the Foreign
Society two years and then as President of the Woman's
Missionary Society (after union) for eighteen years; Mrs.
Hattie Jones, nineteen years as Superintendent of Juniors
and President of the auxiliary since giving up the Juniors;
Mrs. M. I. Siler as President for twenty years.
Mrs. Jackson Johnston attended the Atlanta Confer-
ence in 1878, not as official delegate, but because of her
interest in the work and to bring back to her society all the
information she could obtain.
HENDERSONYILLE— Organized in 1878 by Mrs.
A. E. Pease with Mrs. Piggott as President; Miss Bessie
Allen, Secretary and Mrs. Val Justus (now Mrs. J. P.
Rickman), Treasurer. Other members were Mrs. T. G.
Hart and Mrs. S. V. Pickens, Miss Mamie Justus (Mrs.
S. H. Hilliard), Miss Flora Taylor (Mrs. F. Lincoln).
This society has the honor of sending out the first Deaconess
from the Western North Carolina Conference, Miss Bessie
Allen, who was one of the first to take training at Scarritt
and is now doing a splendid work in Atlanta, Ga.
Mrs. Sallie Hart of this society contributed to the sup-
port of a Chinese girl who bears the name, Bessie Allen.
The society is today one of the most active in the Asheville
WAYNESVILLE— Organized May, 1878. The his-
torian of this society, unlike Mark Twain who once said,
"it is a dangerous thing for a person to look up his family
tree, he might find a monkey," finds that there is nothing in
the record of the society's fifty years but what may well be
recorded and looked back to with pride.
Rev. James Atkins, afterwards Bishop, was the or-
ganizer of this faithful band of women whose first Presi-
dent was the wife of a preacher, Mrs. Philip Edwards. The
meetings were held on Sunday afternoons at the homes of
the members. The historian says: "We did not have litera-
ture then on Woman's Work and how eagerly we did look
forward to Mrs. F. A. Butler's paper published in Nash-
ville, Tenn. From her we learned how the women (Mrs.
Hayes, Mrs. McGavock and others) prayed for strength to
organize the woman's work. Each of us felt the respon-
sibility of the work undertaken without the help of the Holy
Spirit, so together and in private we besought the wisdom
needed, often praying all night."
Of the charter members only four are now living: Mrs.
Emma Willis, Mrs. W. T. Lee, Mrs. J. K. Boone and Mrs.
Mrs. M. J. Branner, first President of the Woman's
Home Mission Society, Western North Carolina Confer-
ence, and Mrs. James Atkins, at one time Corresponding
Secretary of the Conference Society, were members of this
WEAYERYILLE — Ten members constituted the
charter roll of this society which was organized in 1879,
with Mrs. J. A. Reagan as President. The first year the
society contributed $10.00 to the missionary work. Several
of the charter members still live and the society is doing a
most gratifying work.
ASHEVILLE— Mrs. J. E. Ray was one of the or-
ganizers of this society which came into existence early in
1879, with forty-four members enrolled. Its first President
was Mrs. Burnette, wife of the pastor of Central Church,
and Mrs. A. E. Pease, an honorary life member, was the
Corresponding Secretary from the time of its organization
until her death. While the early records of this society are
not available we find the names of many of Asheville's
prominent women engaged in the missionary work through
this organization, among them Mrs. E. J. Aston, Mrs.
Burnette, Mrs. A. T. Davidson, Mrs. T. A. Reynolds, Mrs.
Erwin Sluder, Mrs. jane Spears, Mrs. John Patton, Mrs.
J. P. Sawyer, Mrs. A. E. Pease, Mrs. M. E. Hilliard, Mrs.
G. A. Roberts and others.
GREENSBORO— It was Rev. 1). R. Bruton who
called together the interested women of West Market Street
Church at the parsonage, on February 23rd, 1879, and
organized them into a Missionary Society, auxiliary to the
North Carolina Conference. Thirty members were enrolled.
Officers appointed were Miss Amanda V. Lee, President;
Mrs. D. R. Bruton, Corresponding Secretary; Miss Eugenia
Bumpass, Recording Secretary; and Mrs. L. W. Andrews,
Treasurer. Eight vice-presidents were named and one
month later Airs. I). A. Robertson (Mrs. Lucy H. ) became
The first special gift in the North Carolina Conference
was made by a member of this society, Mrs. Fannie Ogburn
Andrews, who contributed $50.00 for the education of a
Chinese girl to be named Ellen Morphis Wood, for her dear
friend, one of the first missionaries to China. This society
has furnished a greater number of officers for the Western
North Carolina Conference than any other within its
Among its charter members who were prominent as
Board and Council members are Mrs. F. M. Bumpass,
Mrs. F. H. E. Ross, Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson, Mrs.
N. H. D. Wilson, and perhaps others.
SALISBURY— April 2nd, 1879, is the date of the
organization of this society, who had for its first President,
Mrs. S. J. Swicegood; Vice-President, Mrs. J. F. Ross;
Secretary, Mrs. J. J. Renn; Treasurer, Mrs. M. L. Holmes.
Re-organized in March, 1882, and again in 1890.
ANSONVILLE — No records of this society available
excepting the names of the officers who were: President,
Mrs. W. B. McLendon; Vice-Presidents, Mrs. W. D. Red-
fern and Mrs. V. Garrett; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs.
J. N. Cole; Recording Secretary, Mrs. J. M. Dunlap; and
Treasurer, Mrs. Kate Kendall Hendley. Date of organi-
zation April 8th, 1879.
MOCKSVILLE— Organized June 4th, 1879, by Rev.
T. A. Boone with fourteen members, whose constitution
stated as their object "to aid in interesting Christian women
in the evangelization of heathen women, and in raising
funds for this work." Each year of the history of this or-
ganization showed that the spirit of missions grew and that
the ladies of the church fell into line, one by one. First
officers were: President, Mrs. M. L. Meroney; Vice-Presi-
dents, Mrs. Jane H. Clement and Mrs. Malinda Clement;
Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. E. M. Boone; Recording
Secretary, Miss Jane Austen; and Treasurer, Miss Lizzie
RUTHERFORDTON— August 10th, 1879, was the
date of the organization of the Rutherfordton society with
Rev. and Mrs. Sidney Bumpass as the organizers. T.iere
were twenty charter members, and officers were: President,
Mrs. J. M. Craton; \ "ice-Presidents, Mrs. J. B. Eaves and
Mrs. G. H. Mills; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. M. J.
Hayden; Recording Secretary, Mrs. J. L. Rucker; and
Treasurer, Mrs. Jane Toms.
HICKORY — The year 1879 saw the beginning of a
Woman's Missionary Society in Hickory with nine members
composing the charter membership, and the collections for
the first year amounting to $7.10.
Mrs. W. H. Ellis was elected President; Mrs. S. P.
Bisaner, Recording Secretary; Mrs. H. S. Suttlemyre, Cor-
responding Secretary; and Mrs. J. T. Johnson, Treasurer.
That this organization was not taken seriously by some of
the male members of the congregation is evident from a
remark made by one of them and recorded in the minutes.
This gentleman who was visiting the new organization, after
seeing the earnestness and enthusiasm in evidence, said to a
friend, "Now the women are started they will not know how
to stop." He was uttering a true prophecy, for the society
has not stopped, but has moved forward with an impetus
that has added members to its ranks and material increase
to its treasury. An outstanding event in the life of this
society was the departure of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Clay to
Brazil, Mr. Clay to establish a publishing house and Mrs.
Clay to teach the women of that country the beauty and
meaning of a Christian home. Mrs. J. W. Shuford has
been President of the society for sixteen years.
WINSTON— Organized April 22nd, 1879, by Rev.
P. J. Carraway, pastor at that time of Centenary Church.
Following w T ere the officers: President, Mrs. Mary Gray;
Vice-Presidents, Mrs. Celeste Alspaugh, Mrs. Eliza
Vaughn, Miss Ann Thompson; Recording Secretary, Miss
Lizzie Leak; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. Nannie Davis;
Treasurer, Mrs. Amanda Black.
There were seventeen charter members, four of whom
are still living, two of whom are still doing active work,
Mrs. Mary Ogburn and Mrs. Bettie Hill. Although the
growth of the society was slow for several years, the efforts
of the faithful few kept it from "losing ground." Special
tribute is paid Mrs. Nannie Davis, than whom no society
ever had a more faithful worker. Having no family and no
near relatives she gave the devotion of her life to her mis-
sionary society. It is due to her interest and care that the
early records have been preserved.
From a small beginning in 1879 great things have
grown. At the close of the first year the record says, "The
Secretary stated that $35.00 had been sent to the General
Board of Missions for disbursement." Last year showed
more than $4,000.00 total contributons.
STATESVILLE — While there is no reference in the
earliest records of the North Carolina Conference of this
society, the Historian of the Statesville District, Mrs. H. A.
Sigmon, of Newton, who left not a stone unturned to secure
pioneer data, has found from those who were members of
the organization that there was a society organized in 1879
with twenty members, and with these officers: President,
Mrs. R. G. Barrett; Corresponding Secretary, Miss Mamie
Robbins (Mrs. B. F. Long) ; Treasurer, Miss Sallie Ander-
son (Mrs. J. S. McRorie). Names of other officers not
available. Among the charter members were Mrs. James
Wilson, Mrs. J. B. Connelly, Mrs. G. W. Clegg, Mrs. W. M.
Robbins and Mrs. W. E. Anderson. For several years the
women of this society supported a Bible woman in China
and paid the expenses of two Cuban children in school.
From this society there have come the Woman's Missionary
Society, and the Louise Sloan Society, both of which are
CHARLOTTE— As in the case of the Statesville
Society the first year's record of the North Carolina Con-
ference does not list Charlotte as a society, but the first
President, Miss Sallie Bethune, whose death occurred only
a few weeks ago, gives, through Mrs. Mattie H. Stewart,
The church work began with a "sewing society," the
articles made each week being sold for money for the
church. A dozen or more women, with Mrs. Louisa M.
Wriston, as one of the most enthusiastic of the crowd, com-
posed this society. The fact that a missionary spirit existed
among the women of the Methodist Church in Charlotte is
evidenced by a certificate of Life Membership in the Mis-
sionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South,
issued to Mrs. Louisa M. Wriston in 1859, bearing the
signature of Bishop Joshua Soule as President and E. W.
Sehorn, Secretary. The sum of twenty dollars as required
by the constitution having been contributed for that purpose.
( This framed certificate is now the prized possession of
Mrs. Wriston's daughter, Mrs. C. C. Kennedy. )
Mrs. Stewart says, ''Previous to the meeting of the
annual Conference in Charlotte in 1878 the women of
Tryon Street Church, having received letters urging them to
organize a missionary society, formed such an organization
with about ten members, electing Miss Sallie Bethune, the
youngest member as President. To the best of her remem-
brance the other members were Mrs. L. M. Wriston, Mrs.
Clem Dowd, Mrs. Pink Wilson, Mrs. Dr. Green, Mrs.
J. W. Wadsworth, Mrs. J. S. Spencer, Mrs. Mary Farrow
Asbury, Mrs. D. H. Byerly and Mrs. Jonas Rudisill.
"As there were only a few members and the contribu-
tions small there was a hesitsancy in reporting, which
probably accounts for the lack of Conference record. The
money was possibly turned into the Church Treasury. Mrs.
Clem Dowd and Mrs. F. D. Swindell (pastor's wife) were
the first of the members to hold Conference offices, Mrs.
Dowd being District Secretary ( the Vice-President ) from
1881-1884,' and succeeded by Mrs. Swindell in 1885/'
GREENSBORO FEMALE COLLEGE SOCIETY
— Organized November 21st, 1870. Twenty-one members
and first year's collection $3.35. Officers: President, Mrs.
L. Jones; Vice-Presidents, Miss Gena Bumpass, Miss Dora
Jones and Miss Bessie Easley; Corresponding Secretary,
Miss Lou Borden; Recording Secretary, Miss A. Jones;
Treasurer, Miss Laura Nelson.
Pioneer Children s Societies
WEAVERVILLE FORGET - ME - NOTS — Or-
ganized in 1879 with twelve members, and up until this
day the Weaverville Children's Society stands in the fore-
front in efficient and faithful work. Three times has the
name of the auxiliary been changed. After the formation
of the Western North Carolina Conference Society they
adopted the name "Bright Jewels" by which the children of
the Conference were known for two years, then they became
"Light Bearers ,, and now, since the recent change in the
name by the Woman's Council, they are "Ep worth Juniors."
Mrs. C. C. Brown, their present leader, has been their
guide and pilot for more than thirty years.
FRANKLIN — This society organized very soon after
that of the adults about 1878. Still doing a fine work.
GREENSBORO "BUSY BEES"— "Before January,
1880," according to the records, this society was organized
in Greensboro by Mrs. F. M. Bumpass.
(Because of the inability to secure the records of the
Home Mission Society, we cannot publish the list of Pioneer
Home Societies. — Mrs. IF. R. Harris, Conference His-
Pioneer Conference Officers
Foreign Missionary Society
MRS. LUCY H. ROBERTSON
"It is not too much to say of Mrs. Robertson that she
embodies the highest ideals of both present and past. She
is a womanly woman, possessing a broad culture, a large
outlook upon life, a dignity and poise of manner together
with a kindliness of heart that makes her most attractive
"The bare annals of Mrs. Robertson's life make a brief
story, but to follow the upper course of its events, to trace
the influences that have moulded, to catch some of its
music, to understand its heart throbs, to record some of its
triumphs, is to transcribe a lesson that may be handed down
as a rich treasure to all other women."
Her pioneer work has been: A staunch supporter of
the Woman's Christian Temperance Union (when it was
not fashionable), Vice-President of the Woman's Mission-
ary Society of the North Carolina Conference. When divi-
sion was made in 1890 she became the President of the
Woman's Missionary Society, Western North Carolina Con-
ference, which important position she held with honor until
1926 (thirty-six years). Then to show the love and admir-
ation that had been hers during these years of faithful
service and wise guidance, she was made President
Through her Presidency of Greensboro College for
Women (now Greensboro College) Mrs. Robertson has,
perhaps, touched the lives of more young women than any
other one woman in our Conference.
Mrs. Robertson is highly endowed, mentally and spirit-
ually, possessing a mind strong and well developed which
goes beneath the surface of things and keeps abreast of the
times, and deep religious convictions which make her a
brave soldier of the Cross, a loyal supporter of her church
and its institutions and a warm friend to her pastors.
Her life stands out as an open page in the history of
our church work, and as we read may we learn the great
lesson it teaches of godliness, faithfulness, patience and
meekness — these attributes that glorify Christian woman-
Mrs. G. W. Whitsett.
MUS. J. e. RAY
First Vice-President of Holston Conference Woman's Missionary Society,
Vice-President of Western North Carolina Conference for years
and District Secretary of Asheville Districe from 1890-1900
MRS. J. E. RAY
Mrs. J. E. Ray, who died at her home in Asheville,
N. C, June 3rd, 1918, filled a large place in the life of her
people. Her sincere faith and her gentle heart led her from
childhood through a glorious womanhood, to the gates of
the city "whose "Maker and builder is God."
She was one of the organizers of the Woman's Foreign
Missionary Society of Central M. E. Church, South, Ashe-
ville, which organization preceded by some months that of
the General Woman's Board in Atlanta in 1878.
For several years Mrs. Ray was the Vice-President of
the Western North Carolina Woman's Missionary Society;
District Secretary of the Asheville District and at the time
of the organization of the Holston Conference Woman's
Missionary Society in 1878, she was chosen Vice-President.
She was also an active member of the Woman's Christian
Temperance Union, a member of the Mission Hospital
Board, and of the Associated Charities; in fact, she was in
the forefront of any religious or patriotic movement that
made for the upbuilding of her country.
Her heart was always open to the poor and unfortu-
nate and her home was a place where they could come and
find a friend. She had a deep understanding of and sym-
pathy for the negro. She devoted much of her time to teach-
ing in their Sunday School and never lost patience with
them in their weaknesses or hope for their final develop-
Her greatest aspiration was to know the will of God
and do it, her crowning hope was to see the face of her Lord
and Master, Jesus Christ.
Mrs. M. E. Child.
MRS. F. M. BUMPASS
Mrs. Frances Webb Bumpass, who was the first Cor-
responding Secretary of the Woman's Missionary Society,
North Carolina Conference, from 1878 to 1890, filled the
same position in the Western North Carolina Conference
when the latter was organized in 1890, serving until 1898,
when she was removed from her long and faithful leader-
ship by death, May 8th, 1898.
To know what her consecrated life to the cause of mis-
sions meant in her own State, as well as to Southern Metho-
dism through her connection with the Woman's Foreign
Mission Board, one should have known her beautiful Chris-
tian personality; for in her daily life she manifested in the
highest degree those virtues which are the fruit of the in-
dwelling of the Spirit. She lived in such constant com-
munion with the Master that her serenity of spirit irradiated
her countenance like the mellow glow of light through trans-
One could not be in her presence without feeling the
influence of that chamber of peace in which her soul dwelt.
Many who were perplexed and sorely tried sought her for
the benediction which was imparted by association with one
who dwelt in such an atmosphere of calm as resulted from
her unfaltering trust in the wisdom and love of the Father
for all His children.
Her keen intelligence and sound judgment eminently
fitted her to help those who sought 1 comfort and advice from
her, and her patience never wearied in extending a helping
hand to all who sought her sympathy. Her native gentle-
ness of nature, enhanced by the meek and quiet spirit of the
true follower of the Master, endeared her to all who came
under her influence in the varied relations of life, while her
unfaltering faith was an inspiration that helped to steady
the faltering steps of many who might have fainted by the
way but for the courage and hope kindled by the flame of
her steadfast faith in the all-wise God whom she so faith-
Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson.
MRS. JOHN R. BROOKS
God gave to Mrs. Pauline Hill Brooks nearly sixty
beautiful years, and through this pilgrimage of sunshine
and shadow He was with her to lead and guide her. From
earliest infancy He kept her in training for a great work
and for Christian leadership among the women of Metho-
dism in her Conference.
Reared in a home of Christian culture and refinement,
educated in a College where Christian influences were
thrown around her, for some years a successful teacher,
she was well equipped for the position of wife of an itine-
rant minister, a position which she held for twenty-five
years, and everywhere that she and husband served the
church life was quickened by the faithful ministries that
only a cultured, intelligent, consecrated preacher's wife
MiiS. Paui.ink Hn.T. Brooks.
MRS. JOH\ K. KROOKS
Recording Secretary Woman's Missionary .Society, Western Xortli
, Carolina Conference, 1890-1904
Mrs. Brooks was a gifted woman and the fine talents
committed to her keeping were turned to the best account
in her Master's interest. She wrote and spoke with grace
and facility, and in every department of church work her
influence was felt. For fourteen years she was Recording
Secretary of the Woman's Foreign Missionary society and
most faithfully and efficiently did she perform her duties.
During her residence in Charlotte she was Secretary of the
Florence Crittenton Home Association, where she did some
of her best work.
She passed away in 1904 in Reidsville. She has left
a rich legacy in the example of a beautiful Christian char-
acter enriched with every Christian grace and virtue.
Mrs. Edna Lindsey Watt.
MRS. W. R. ODELL
On July 7th, 1907, as the evening shadows lengthened
and night was coming on, the life of Lizzie Sergeant Odell
answered the call of our Heavenly Father to come home.
All who knew her realized she went gladly and was un-
afraid, for her Pilot was by her side.
Her life was full of good deeds; wherever there was
sickness or sorrow she was there for service and comfort.
She was active in every phase of church work, a teacher
in the Sunday School and for years was the most efficient
President of the Forest Hill Missionary Society. When
the Woman's Missionary Society, Western North Carolina
Conference, was organized at Salisbury in 1890, Mrs. Odell
was elected Treasurer, a position which she filled most effi-
ciently for two years.
Mrs. Odell had a valiant co-worker in her loyal hus-
band and to Forest Hill Church they gave much of their
time in beautiful Christian service. As her pastor's wife
she gave me much more than an ordinary friendship. The
influence of her consecrated life still lives in the hearts of
those who knew and loved her.
Mrs. M. A. Smith.
MISS AMANDA V. LEE
Written into the annals of those pioneer missionary
women of the Western North Carolina Conference, who
wrought so wonderfully for this cause, is the name of Miss
Amanda V. Lee, of Shelby, N. C.
In 1885 she organized one of the first Children's Mis-
sionary Societies in the Conference at Shelby, and with this
group of fiftv or sixty "Bright Jewels 11 she met every Sun-
day afternoon, and conducted probably the first Mission
Study class and Training School in one, although these
activities were then unknown as such.
She very definitely instilled into these children her own
warm missionary spirit, and gave out all available mis-
sionary information which was indelibly impressed upon
It is recorded that in four years her Bright Jewels gave
to missions $274.00. The whole story of the ingathering
of this sum, in pennies, nickels and dimes, no doubt, will
never be adequately told, because only those "sun-clad
women" who gave first themselves with patience, with sacri-
fice, with perseverance, with faith, with vision — only these
know the story in its entirety. It is told today in the lives
of the men and women who constitute trie missionary spirit
of the Church.
At the organization meeting of the Woman's Mission-
ary Society of the Western North Carolina Conference, Miss
Lee was chosen leader of the Children's Work and held the
position with efficiency for two or more years. Under her
leadership the work grew and prospered, and she gave to it
an impetus which has helped to carry it on through these
Mrs. H. K. Boyer.
MRS. L. W. CRAWFORD
No woman in North Carolina has given herself more
completely to the cause of Foreign Missions than did Mrs.
L. W. Crawford, of Greensboro, N. C. For a period of
seventeen years she was Conference Corresponding Secre-
tary and for many years Editor of the Woman's Page in
the North Carolina Christian Advocate, being the first
woman named for that responsible position when the page
was started in 1897.
Gentle, though firm; quiet, yet adventurous; prevail-
in prayer, she left her impress upon the lives of all with
whom she came in direct contact.
"They buried a quiet lady beneath the sod,
And said, 'her quiet spirit has gone to God.'
But I, who love the lady know a tale,
Her spirit climbed a mountain and rides a gale."
Mrs. Richard Wills.
MRS. J. W. AXSPAUGH
Long Time Treasurer Woman's Foreign Missionary Society,
Western North Carolina Conference
MRS. J. W. ALSPAUGH
Pioneers have wrought well throughout the ages, they
are revered as noble spirit who have made the paths of life
less difficult for those coming after them. Such were the
women who organized and carried on the work of the
Woman's Foreign Missionary Society in its early years.
Lack of interest was discouraging, members came in slowly
and funds were small.
Among those who lived to see the work enlarge and
become an important part of the Church was Mrs. J. W.
Alspaugh, a Conference Treasurer for several years. As
Miss Celeste Tucker she was born and reared in Olin,
Iredell County, North Carolina. She was a charter mem-
ber of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society. After her
marriage of Col. Alspaugh she spent the remainder of her
life in Winston.
She was elected Treasurer of the Conference Society in
Statesville in 1892 and held that office until 1901. She
gave time and labor to that work which she greatly enjoyed,
and always attended the annual meetings.
Mrs. Alspaugh had a cultured mind and was gifted in
song. She gave freely of all her talents to the Church.
When she died, February 20th, 1908, not only the Woman's
Missionary Society but the Church lost a rare and loyal
Miss Nora Dodson.
Home Mission Society
MRS. M. J. BRANNER
Mrs. M. J. Branner, of Waynesville, was one of our
most interested pioneers in the Home Mission department
of our church.
When the first annual meeting of the Home Mission
Society, Western North Carolina Conference, convened in
Salisbury in November, 1901, she was its gracious presiding
officer, and her prayers and inspiring words still linger in
the memory of those who were privileged to see her calm,
benign face and hear her sweet voice, which always brought
an inspiring message, for Mrs. Branner was a woman of
rare spiritual attainments and her prayers and words of
counsel were an inspiration to her hearers.
At the annual Conference in Concord in 1899 Mrs.
Branner was appointed President and her special work was
to be the organization of a Conference Society. She did not
have an easy task to perform. As she said in an address
delivered in Salisbury at the fourth annual meeting, "Our
women were slow to recognize the need of a connectional
society." But with faith in the Master and with the realiza-
tion of the need of a society that would do the work planned
for the Home Mission Society, she labored on and was
rewarded by seeing the work grow from seven societies at
the first annual meeting to twenty-eight organizations at the
It was during Mrs. Branner's term of office that Bre-
vard School was taken over by the Home Mission Board,
and she was much interested in the work that it was doing
and the need it was meeting for our mountain boys and
Mrs. Branner was a leader in the W. C. T. U. and the
little white ribbon was her constant companion, reminding
all with whom she came in contact, of the high and noble
things for which she stood.
Her special mission seemed to be to the poor and un-
fortunate and those in prison. To all of these she min-
istered faithfully and lovingly, and delighted in telling of
the many visible results for the kingdom, which she was
permitted to see.
It was pioneers of the type of Mrs. Branner whose faith
and courage inspired the women of our Church to press
forward, and made possible the great work accomplished
Mrs. H. A. Dunham.
MRS. JAMES ATKINS
The greatest blessing in the life of a child and the
richest heritage is to be born of godly, pious parents and to
be reared in a Christian home amid religious influences.
In such a home as this Ella Branner Atkins was born
October 10th, 1859, daughter of Mary Josephine Love and
Joseph A. Branner. In 1878 she was happily married to
Rev. lames Atkins, afterwards Bishop, and came imrae-
diately to Asheville, where her husband was pastor of Cen-
tral Church, and later President of Asheville Female Col-
lege, and in that city they resided for a number of years.
Mrs. Atkins was a woman of superior mental ability
and in hearty sympathy with all the work of the Church.
MRS. JAMES ATKINS
Corresponding .Secretary of the Home Mission Society, "Western North
Carolina Conference, at tiie time of union in 1912
At the time of her death in 1916 she was President of the
Waynesville Woman's Missionary Society, and in this
position gave most loyal and efficient service.
At the time of the union of the Home and Foreign
Societies in 1912, she was Corresponding Secretary of the
Home Society, and continued to hold the office until 1914.
Her death in 1916, which occurred at her home in
Waynesville, brought sorrow to the hearts of her host of
friends throughout the State, and was a distinct blow to the
church and community where she gave so liberally of herself
in unselfish. Christian service.
Mrs. James Atkins, Jr.
II US. T. P. ^1 \HH
Recording Secretary :nul President of Home Mission Society, holding;
office of President at time of union in L912
MRS. T. F. MARR
No more enduring name can be associated with the his-
tory of the Missionary spirit of the woman's missionary
work of the Western North Carolina Conference, than that
of Kannie Zachary Marr (Mrs. T. F. Marr), who occupied
positions of trust and responsibility therein; and always
brought to any office to which she was called, the enthu-
siasm of unselfish, consecrated service.
Hers was a busy life. She was an exemplary wife, and
devoted mother, and home was to her a sacred and holy
As the wife of a minister, her hands and heart found
boundless opportunities for unheralded, unobtrusive service.
Mrs. Marr believed in young people, taking the basis that
they were the hope of the world, and she lavishly encour-
aged the young men and women of her church to seek the
"higher trails" of life.
She was imbued with a zeal for consecrated service,
and she dedicated and gave freely of her talents to the up-
building and furthering of the cause of missions as spon-
sored by her church. She enlisted under its banner in
young womanhood, and served there with unswerving devo-
tion and loyalty till the Father of all light called her to
"Come up Higher."
She wrought worthily and her influence and memory
Mrs. R. Duke Hay.
MRS. FRANCES H. E. ROSS
Mrs. F. H. E. Ross is truly a pioneer in missionary
activity, for as a little girl she began trying to teach a
colored servant at night, what she had learned at school
during the day.
That this zeal has not abated is shown by the records
of her work, for she splendidly filled many offices in local
and conference societies. In 1910 Mrs. Ross was called to
the important duties of Treasurer of the Woman's Mission-
ary Council: Here her name stands for wise and econom-
ical administration of millions of dollars contributed by the
women of Southern Methodism.
The predominating traits of Mrs. Ross' character are
clearness of conviction, steadfastness of purpose, and
loyalty to duty. These are as true of her social life as of
her religious and business career. Truly, "Her works do
follow her," for even though called by family ties to live in
a distant state, she is still treasurer of Brevard Institute
and is keenly alive to every interest of the Master's
Mrs. R. R. Alley.
MRS. T. J. COPELAND
I count it no ordinary privilege to voice an appreciation
of our beloved Mrs. T. J. Copeland, who though now Presi-
dent of the Baltimore Conference, virtually belongs to the
"Good Old North State," where she was reared and later
began active work in an official capacity in the pioneer work
of the Home Mission Society.
Rarely is there given to one woman such a multiplicity
of endowments as are hers, carrying as they do such a
noticeable spirit of self-effacement. Her gift of leadership,
her convincing speech, her keenness of judgment, coupled
with a wholesome sense of humor and a gracious demeanor;
all have contributed to a personality that has drawn count-
less number under her influence.
However, above all this one is impressed with the fact
that here truly is a great soul, on fire with zeal in her
spiritual adventure, and one who has, in her own life,
exemplified St. Paul's admonition: "Let your love be made
rich in knowledge and all manner of insight so that you
may have a sense of what is vital! "
Mrs. S. H. Isler.
Juniors and Young People
"In the heart of youth lies the destinies oi the
Kingdom of God."
An angel paused in his upward flight
With a seed of love and truth and right,
And cried, "O where shall this seed be sown
That it yield most fruit when fully grown?"
The Saviour heard and said as he smiled —
'Plant it for me in the heart of a child."
Franklin and Weaverville in the "Land of the Sky"
have the distinction of having organized the first children's
societies in our Conference, and perhaps among the very
first in Southern Methodism. The Franklin Society was
organized soon after that of the women and through all
these years has been active in good works. Both these
societies at the time of their organization were in the Hol-
ston Conference of which we were then a part.
The Weaverville Society organized in 1879 was known
as the "Forget-Me-Nots" for a number of years and kept
that name until they became "Light Bearers." This society
was organized by Mrs. F. A. Butler and Mrs. J. S. Kennedy
with a membership of twelve and the dues three cents per
month. This society still lives and is among the leading
children's societies in the Conference today. Mrs. C. C.
Brown for more than thirty years has been the leader of
"Before January, 1880/' say the records, "there was
a Juvenile society in Greensboro with fifty members and
when Mrs. W. S. Black organized the children's work in
1882, at the Conference in December of that year, she
reported eighteen auxiliaries and of that number five were
in the territory afterwards included in the Western North
Carolina Conference." In May, 1882, several other bands
were reported by Mrs. F. M. Bumpass.
At the organization meeting of our Conference in 1890
a number of Juvenile societies were reported by Miss
Amanda V. Lee, then in charge of the work, and with the
twenty-four adults gathered there to effect an organization,
was a representative of the Salisbury Sunday School Mis-
sionary Society, Master Theodore West. It is also inter-
esting to note that at this meeting Miss Lee gave the Shelby
Bright jewels the honor of being the banner society with
fifty-eight members and having raised $73.92. Of this
amount $20.50 was contributed by small boys who had
made it trading and placing their money in their mite boxes.
At the meeting of the Conference held in Statesville in
1892 the children adopted the name of "Light Bearers"
and the manner in which this name was suggested is a most
interesting bit of history. Prior to this time the Juvenile
societies had been known as Bright Jewels having retained
the name adopted by the North Carolina Conference, but at
that meeting in response to a request of Miss Lee, several
names were suggested by which our little folks might be
designated, among these being "Sunbeams," "Gospel
Light," "Light Bearers," etc. The last name was suggested
bv Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson and was unanimously adopted.
Mrs. Robertson tells us how through a most pleasing in-
cident the name suggested itself to her.
Prior to the opening of the Conference, the Executive
Committee had met in the Church to forecast the program
and to discuss any questions of moment which might come
up during the next few days. As they lingered it began to
grow dark, and a young lad of Statesville, afterwards known
as Prof. Walter Thompson, Superintendent at one time of
the Jackson Training School at Concord and of the
Children's Home at Winston-Salem, anxious to do his bit
for the success of the meeting came in, took down the oil
lamps with which the church was lighted at that time, took
them out, polished, filled, lighted and brought them in. As
he entered bringing his light to dispel the gathering dark-
ness one of the company remarked, "Here comes the Light
Bearer." Mrs. Robertson caught the significance, suggested
the name and by that title the children of the Western North
Carolina Conference have carried forward their work dur-
ing the past several decades.
In 1894 Miss Lee resigned as leader of this department
and Mrs. W. H. Leith, of Morganton, took the work and for
five years gave the best of her time, her strength and her
talents to the advancement and growth of the work which
grew and prospered under her leadership.
At her resignation her mantle fell upon the shoulders
of Mrs. J. H. Weaver, who for ten years carried the work
forward. Mrs. Weaver loved and worked in every depart-
ment of the Church, but perhaps her best work was that
given to the children through the Woman's Foreign Mis-
sionary Society. Of exceptionally fine traits, pure in heart,
gentle, refined in nature, a beautiful Christian character,
she seemed especially fitted to be the leader of the young
life of the church.
In 1909, Mrs. G. G. Harley took charge of the work
and for four years filled the place most acceptably, then
for three years Mrs. Mattie H. Stewart gave unstintingly of
her time for the advancement of the work of this depart-
ment, serving during the first days of the union of the Home
and Foreign Societies.
In 1917 the work was given over into the hands
of Miss Amy Hackney, the present Superintendent of
Children's Work, and through her efforts the work has
grown until today our children of Western North Carolina
Conference hold an enviable place among the children of
other Conferences of Southern Methodism. To know that
the children are interested study the statistics of the past
years and note the progress they have made.
WORK OF THE YOUNG PEOPLE
"It has been said of Miss Grace Dodge that she
dreamed a dream and Columbia University came into
existence. It may be said of the good women of Southern
Methodism they dreamed a dream of the possibilities
dormant in the young people of their churches and there
came into existence the young people's missionary societies."
From the early records of our Conference we find that
in 1890 three societies existed, Asheville, Greensboro and
Winston-Salem. Two years later Charlotte, Franklin,
Statesville and Weaverville were added. At the annual
meeting in 1894 for the first time the young people had a
place on the program of the annual meeting, and in 1901
we find the young people pledging themselves to raise
$750.00 for special work.
In Shelby in 1903, during the hour given over to the
Young People's Work, Mrs. L. W. Crawford, Correspond-
ing Secretary of the Conference, explained a recent action
of the Board urging the enlistment by each Conference of
the young women of the church, and the giving to them of
special work. She also reported the adoption of the name
"Golden Links" and urged all the societies, especially the
new ones, to enlist under that name.
She spoke of the course of study that had been ar-
ranged for the young people, the badge to be prepared and
forcibly impressed the possibilities of this work through
earnest prayer and zealous effort.
She made the pleasing announcement that the Board
had entrusted to the young women of the Western North
Carolina Conference a lovely young women, a medical mis-
sionary, Miss Margaret Foster, as their very own.
The name of Golden Links was adopted and with
peculiar interest and enthusiasm the young people began the
work assigned to them — the support of their own mission-
ary. ( The Young People's Society at Forest Hill, Concord,
N. C, was the first society in Western North Carolina Con-
ference organized under the new name and they are still
known as the "Houston Golden Links.")
Earlier records tell us that on November 21st, 1879,
Mrs. N. H. I). Wilson, President of the North Carolina
Woman's Foreign Missionary Society, reported the organi-
zation of a young woman's society at Greensboro Female
College to be known as the Marvin Society, and to be a
branch of the West Market Adult Auxiliary. (In October,
1881, this society did merge with the West Market Society,
but later another society was organized at the college, as a
Young People's Society.)
In 1888 the Young Ladies' Society of West Market
Street Church, Greensboro, was organized by Mrs. F. M.
Bumpass and Mrs. J. A. Cunninggim, with seventeen
charter members, whose purpose it was "to get the young
life of the church to aid the women and children in sending
the gospel to those in foreign lands, on our own borders
and among the Indians of our own country, through the
agencies of female missionaries, teachers, physicians and
Later this society, after a visit from Miss Margaret
Foster, was so captivated by her and so interested in her,
that they assumed the entire expense of her medical train-
ing and adopted her name — The Margaret Foster Society.
Following Miss Foster's death the year after their
adoption of her, the society began earnestly to pray for a
missionary to take her place and one of its own members,
Miss Nina Troy, was called to missionary service in the
foreign field and is still the adopted missionary of this
faithful, energetic band of voung women. Other members
of this society who have volunteered for service are Mrs.
Blanche Boyles Sterne, who was for a time a missionary
worker in the home field, and Miss Ola Callahan, now in
training for service in the foreign field.
Thus started the young people's work in our Confer-
ence, but not until 1908 was there a special department
formed for them. At that time there were about thirty
organizations in the Conference.
At the meeting in Asheville in 1908 the first Super-
intendent of Young People's Work was appointed, Miss
Nina Dayvault, of Concord, being chosen for this respon-
sible position, but Miss Dayvault served only one year, and
Mrs. E. A. Cole, of Charlotte, was chosen as her successor
and served two years. Mrs. L. H. Martin, of Greensboro,
succeeded Mrs. Cole and held the office from 1911-1913,
then Mrs. Plato Durham, 1913-1915; Mrs. H. K. Bover,
1915-1917; 'Mrs. W. R. Harris, 1917-1923; Mrs. Charles
C. Weaver, 1923-1926. Upon her election as President of
the Conference, Mrs. Weaver gave the work into the hands
of Mrs. Hoke Bullard, the present incumbent.
The records show the wisdom in the creation of this
department through which the young people have carried
forward their work, and the gratifying report submitted by
Mrs. Bullard in 1927 shows that there has been no lack of
interest in the work. Ninety-two societies with a member-
ship 2,170, with contributions totaling $6,467.09 speak
loudly the success of the work.
'I sent them forth from my kingdom
As torches to light the world,
And each one carried a message,
In each was my purpose furled."
One of the greatest and most valued assets of the
Western North Carolina Conference is her band of repre-
sentatives, who, as missionaries and deaconesses are giving
faithful, loyal, unselfish service to the missionary cause —
the salvation and redemption of humanity. Our Confer-
ence is proud of these workers, and justly so, for each is
making a most gratifying record in her chosen field of labor.
OUR FIRST MISSIONARY
In Salisbury in 1902, at the twelfth annual meeting
of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society, a most im-
pressive scene, fraught with intense interest and that will
abide for good in the hearts of those who participated in it,
was the presentation of Miss Blanche Howell, of Morgan-
ton, to the Conference as our first missionary — the first to
go as our representative to the foreign land. This fact
seemed to bring Miss Howell in very close and personal
touch with the members of the Conference, many of whom
were deeply affected by her simple, earnest testimony as to
her call to the foreign field. An earnest prayer was offered
by Mrs. John R. Brooks, commending her to the care of
the heavenly Father in her work in Brazil, whither every
one should follow her with their daily prayers for richest
blessings upon her and her work.
The moral sublimity of this scene made a deep and
abiding impression and could but result in the quickening
of missionary interest in the Conference. Miss Howell did
a most gratifying work in Brazil for years and her interest
in the people of that country and in the work there has
never waned. She is now Mrs. Frank Tripp, of New Bed-
In 1909 two other choice and well equipped women
offered to God their lives wholly dedicated to His service,
Miss Terrie Buttrick, of Asheville, and Miss Leila Judson
Tuttle, of Lenoir. Having finished the prescribed course
at Sca'rritt Training School they had been appointed, one
to Mexico, the other to China.
Miss Buttrick, who was assigned to Mexico, was forced
after a few years, because of ill health, to give up her work
and return to Asheville for recuperation. Regaining her
strength to some extent she went again to her loved work,
this time as a teacher in the Lydia Patterson Institute, a
school for Mexicans in El Paso, but the condition of her
health again necessitated her giving up the work and she
is now engaged in teaching in Asheville, and as a member
of the Woman's Auxiliary of Central Methodist Church is
doing a most effective work.
Miss Tuttle was assigned to China, where she is still
doing a most valuable work. Her first seventeen years
were spent at McTyeire School, in Shanghai, in the English
Department, but in September, 1926, to meet a definite need
for an English teacher, she was transferred to Laura Hay-
good Normal School in Soochow.
In 1912 two others were called to service in the foreign
field, Miss Nina Troy, of Greensboro, and Miss Frances
Burkhead, of Lexington, while three years later Miss Kate
Hackney, of Asheville, answered a call to service in China.
Miss Troy and Miss Hackney are both associated with
Laura Haygood Normal School in Soochow, Miss Hackney
in the Kindergarten Department and Miss Troy in the
Music Department. Miss Burkhead was for a number of
year Superintendent of the Moka Garden Embroidery Mis-
sion at Soochow, but at the outbreak of the war in China
she was at home on furlough, and her return there at this
time not being advisable she went to Mexico as a substitute
teacher at the Colegio Roberts, where she served for several
months. She is now with her sister in Raleigh, hoping soon
to return to her loved China.
These four young women, Misses Tuttle, Troy, Burk-
head and Hacknev, are adopted daughters of societies in
the home land; Miss Turtle, of Central Church, Concord;
Miss Troy, of Margaret Foster Society, Greensboro; Miss
Burkhead, of Central Church, Asheville, and Miss Hack-
ney, of the Marion District.
Miss Ethel Bost, of Cornelius, and Miss Naomi Howie,
of Wavnesville, were sent out by the Conference in 1925 to
China, Miss Bost going to Shanghai and Miss Howie to
Soochow. Each of these young women are giving valiant
service in the land of their adoption.
A missionary claimed by our Conference who served
on the staff of the Margaret Williamson Hospital in
Shanghai, is Dr. Louise Ingersoll, of Asheville, who though
a Presbyterian in faith, became a Methodist by adoption
and did a faithful work in the union hospital under contract
with our Woman's Missionary Council. Because of ill
health Dr. Ingersoll had to return to Asheville, where she
has sufficiently recovered to resume her work in her home
In the list of candidates consecrated for missionary
service at the Council meeting in Shreveport, La., in 1927,
we find the name of Miss Octavia Clegg, of Greensboro,
who was under appointment to China, but was afterwards
transferred to Japan where she has begun her work. Miss
Clegg "is a daughter of the parsonage," and has been
adopted by the Woman's Missionary Society of Park Place
Church in Greensboro, of which she is a member.
In Korea the representatives from our Conference are
Miss Olive Lee Smith, of Reidsville, N. C, stationed at
Choon Chun; Miss Blanche Hauser, R. N., of Winston-
Salem, adopted missionary of the Winston-Salem District,
who is in the fourth year of her work at Wonsan Christian
Hospital in Wonsan, and Miss Mabel Cherry, of Union-
ville, who was consecrated in 1928, and has recently gone
out to the field as the "living link" of the First Church,
Salisbury, Woman's Missionary Society.
Miss Mabel Jetton, of Shelby, is our only representa-
tive in the Latin-American field and is stationed in Brazil,
where she is teacher of English and Domestic Arts in Col-
legian Centenario, Santa Maria.
In the list of missionaries not now in active service is
Miss Grace McCubbins, of Salisbury (now Mrs. Ross),
who was appointed to Korea in 1917, where she served most
faithfully for several years. The Grace McCubbins Society
of Salisbury is her namesake.
At the Council meeting in Nashville, Tenn, in April
of this year, two of our choice girls of Western North Caro-
lina were consecrated as missionaries, Miss Mabel Cherry,
of Unionville, and Miss Mary Taylor Myers, of Concord,
Miss Cherry receiving an appointment to Korea and Miss
Myers to Africa as a nurse missionary.
In 1927 our Conference adopted as special mission-
aries, Rev. and Mrs. S. A. Stewart and family, of Hiro-
shima Girls' School in Hiroshima, Japan.
We now support 14 missionaries, 17 Bible women, 16
Foreign Scholarships and several Home Scholarships.
OUR HOME MISSION WORKERS
Miss Bessie Allen — The people of Hendersonville,
N. C, congratulate themselves that the first Deaconess
to go out from the Western North Carolina Conference is
a member of the Woman's Missionary Society of that place,
Miss Bessie Allen, who in 1909 began her work and after
eighteen years of efficient service is now at Atlanta, Ga.,
City Mission Board.
Deaconess Fannie Bame, of Duncan Memorial Church,
Charlotte, hails from Salisbury, and is a product of the
Scarritt Training School. She volunteered for service in
1922 and her work along religious and educational lines
and in social activities in the community in which she lives
is most valuable.
Miss Henrietta Logan, mission worker and pastor's
assistant at Spencer Memorial Church in Charlotte, is doing
invaluable service in her chosen work.
Deaconess Berta Ellison claims Franklinville, N. C,
as her home town, and since 1914 has been doing a splendid
work from which she declares she has gotten "wonderful
blessings." She is at St. Mark's Hall in New Orleans.
From the Sapphire country of Western North Carolina
came Deaconess Frank Miller, who was consecrated in
1915, and who has done a most faithful work in the home
At Dumas Institutional Church in Mobile, Ala.,
Deaconess Dora Hoover, another of our Western North
Carolina girls, is doing a good work. Miss Hoover, who
was consecrated in 1909, is from Newton, N. C, on the
One of our most recent volunteers in the home field is
Miss Edith Ader, another "daughter of the parsonage," who
was consecrated in Raleigh in 1926, and is now at Sue
Bennett School in London, Ky., where she holds a most
responsible position and is doing a highly gratifying work.
There are others of our girls at Scarritt College, among
them Miss Ola Callahan, of Greensboro, and Audrey
Ratchford, of Gastonia, who are preparing themselves for
the great work to which they have been called.
What an inspiration to us are the lives of these godly,
consecrated young women — our representatives in the home
and foreign fields. May we be more loyal because of their
loyalty; more faithful because of their fidelity, and more
consecrated because of their deep and abiding faith in Him
who has said, "Go Ye."
A PIONEER MISSIONARY OF NORTH CAROLINA
North Carolina women say that the spirit of missions
was born among the women of that Conference in the old
Greensboro Female College in 1859, when Ellen Morphis,
a graduate of the college, married Rev. M. L. Wood, who
sailed for China with Dr. Young J. Allen, December 17th,
1859. It took them seven months to make the voyage, one
hundred and fifty days of which were out of sight of land.
Mrs. Lucy A. Cunninggim and Mrs. F. M. Bumpass,
pioneers in the woman's work, claimed to have received
their initial inspiration for missions from this event, which
to them was, so significant.
- — From "Women and the Kingdom."
"Education is bringing out of a thing the best
that God has put into it."
— Governor Charles B. Aycogk.
'Education is truly the handmaid of religion.
Situated in the mountains of Western North Carolina
at Brevard, in Transylvania County, is Brevard Institute,
a school for mountain boys and girls, operating under the
Woman's Missionary Council.
We, of the Western North Carolina Conference, feel
especially proud of this institution and of the splendid
work it is doing in the training of our boys and girls for
The history of this school is most interesting. The
credit for its existence must be given to Mr. and Mrs. Fitch
Taylor who started it, nursed and nurtured it through many
discouragements, seemingly, at times, more than they could
overcome, but in the face of all obstacles carried it on to
success until today it stands as one of the leading schools
in the section in which it is located.
"It was in 1904 that the Home Mission Society decided
to take this school under its fostering care, until the con-
ditions of its acceptance could be fulfilled," says the fourth
annual report of the Woman's Home Mission Society,
Western North Carolina Conference.
A pleasing incident is given in this record of an hour
of great interest to those present, the hour set apart for the
formally turning over the Brevard Industrial School into
the hands of the Woman's Board of Home Missions. Rev.
D. Atkins, D.D., Chairman of the Board of Trustees, made
an impressive speech telling of the origin of the school, the
many struggles through which it had passed, the great need
of such an institution in this section and of the good it had
already done. He requested that the Western North Caro-
lina Conference be allowed the privilege of appropriating
something every year to its support. Mrs. Frank Siler ac-
cepted the trust gracefully in the name of the Woman's
Board of Home Missions.
Since that day the women of Southern Methodism have
been interested in Brevard Institute and today it stands as
an institution worthy of our great interest, our prayers and
our gifts. The splendid faculty are doing their work well,
and what this school means to the boys and girls of the
mountains cannot be estimated. "As a tree is known by
its fruits" so Brevard Institute's thorough work is known
by the lives of the students who go out from its doors each
year to take their places in the world.
The Belle Harris Bennett Memorial
All of our women are largely familiar with the out-
standing facts about the Bennett Memorial, but to keep
history straight I will go back to the Council meeting of
1923, at which time it was decided that the Woman's Mis-
sionary Society should build a fitting memorial to its fallen
leader. A marvelous tribute was paid to Miss Bennett by
Mrs. F. F. Stephens. In the following lines she portrayed
the spirit which had animated Belle Bennett throughout a
life of noble service:
"Make me a torch to be for feet that grope
Down Truth's dim trail; to bear for wistful eyes
Comfort of light ; to bid a great beacon blaze,
And kindle altar fires of sacrifice."
The memorial decided upon was a building at Scarritt
College at Nashville, Tenn. The amount set for the women
of Southern Methodism to raise for this purpose was half
a million dollars. Each Conference made a pledge. At the
1923 annual meeting of the Western North Carolina Con-
ference, $10,000.00 was pledged to be paid in three years.
This was not as much as some other conferences were
pledging, but our faith was weak, and we thought that with
the normal increase in our budget from year to year we
could not do more.
The first money came in with the second quarter report
of 1923 and amounted to $175.60. Suffice it to say that for
three years every district secretary lent herself untiringly
to the completion of the fund, and the close of 1925 found
our full pledge of $10,000.00 had been paid.
However, another year had been granted to work on
the memorial fund. A new fire and enthusiasm swept over
the church. Mrs. W. W. Hagood, of Charlotte, was ap-
pointed chairman of the memorial committee. Her "Book
of Remembrance" poster was a thing of beauty and of joy.
Many societies were trying for the goal of $5.00 per member
in order to be enrolled in the beautiful "Book of Remem-
brance" at Nashville. May I pause here to say that the book
itself was given by our conference through the generosity of
a member of Centenary Church, Winston-Salem? It is
with peculiar pride the Western North Carolina Conference
views this book.
A splendid bronze tablet was to be placed on the wall
of the memorial building, having engraved upon it the
names of those conferences which had paid a quota of
$5.00 per capita on their 1923 membership when the cam-
paign began. Should the name of Western North Carolina
Conference be left off this tablet? Never! Our fighting
spirit was aroused. An added incentive was given by the
plan to place on a Roll of Honor the name of any person
for whom a gift of $100.00 was made. Many took ad-
vantage of this to enroll the names of loved ones gone be-
fore, or of those still with us whom they delighted to honor.
Four conference officers with long terms of service were so
honored by the Conference itself, namely:
Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson, President.
Mrs. Philip N. Peacock, Treasurer.
Mrs. W. R. Harris, Secretary.
Mrs. W. W. Hagood, Vice-President.
With the close of the fourth quarter, 1926, the oppor-
tunity ended for auxiliaries to be enrolled in the "Book of
Remembrance." 84 Adult auxiliaries had achieved this
distinction, and 9 Young People's societies. 64 individuals
had been placed on Roll of Honor. The Conference went
on the bronze tablet with a total payment to the memorial
fund of $28,703.00. It is one of eighteen. How happy we
are that our name is on the list! The Roll of Honor has
not been closed, but will be kept open " forever-more" for
the reception of names. We have added five since the close
of the campaign.
In the final count, women of Southern Methodism had
raised not only the half million first asked for, but an addi-
tional $139,000.00. The Memorial building has been
erected and there is no more beautiful place in Nashville.
Our hearts are thrilled with thanksgiving to God for what
He has wrought through the efforts of His frail followers.
"O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?"
Mary Trotter Peacock.
Woman's Foreign Missionary Society
Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson . 1890-1912
Mrs. F. M. Bumpass 1890-1898
Mrs. L. W. Crawford. .. .1898-1912
Mrs. John R. Brooks .... 1890
Mrs. H. B. Nolley (Sec. pro te
Miss Terrie Buttrick . . . . 1905-
Miss Lizzie Perkins ... .1909-
Miss Irene Boyles (pro tern),
Mrs. W. S. Stewart 1911-
Mrs. W. R. Odell 1890-
Mrs. J. W. Alspaugh. . .1S92-
Miss Eugenia Bumpass . 1901-
Mrs. P. X. Peacock 1902-
Superintendent of Supplie
Miss Alice Smith 1911-
Mrs. J. E. Ray 1890
Mrs. A. E. Pease 1891
Mrs. "W. H. Leith 1892-1894
Mrs. N. S. Davis 1S94
Mrs. N. B. McDowell. .. 1895-1900
1904 Mrs. M. E. Childs 1900
m), Mrs. J. E. Ray 1901-1911
1904 Mrs G. G. Harley 1911
1909 Superintendents of Juniors
1910 Miss Amanda V. Lee .... 1890-1894
1911 Mrs. W. H. Leith 1894-1899
1912 Mrs. J. H. Weaver 1S99-1909
Mrs. G. G. Harley 1909-1912
■1892 Superintendents of Young People
■ 1901 Miss Xina Dayvault .... 1908-1909
■ 1902 Mrs. E. A. Cole 1909-1911
-1912 Mrs. L. H. Martin 1911-1912
Mrs. J. E. Ray 1890-1900
Mrs. M. E. Childs 1900-1908
Mrs. G G. Harley 1908-1910
Mrs. W. R. Harris 1910-1912
Mrs. S. F. Ferguson. .. .1890-1892
Mrs. Kope Elias 1892-1894
Mrs. T. E. Wagg 1S96-1898
Mrs. H. G. West 1898
Mrs. Kope Elias 1899-1904
Mrs. Barnard 1904-1905
Mrs. Kope Elias 1905-1907
Mrs. (4. G. Harley 1907-1909
Mrs. W. E. Abernathy. .1909-1911
Miss Laura M. Jones ... 1911-1912
Mt. Airy District
Mrs. T. L. Gwyn 1890-1894
Mrs. J. R. Paddison 1894-1896
Mrs. H. M. Blair 1896-1899
Mrs. H. K. Boyer 1899-1902
Mrs. Z. Paris 1902-1903
Mrs. J. J. Renn 1903-1904
Mrs. H. G. Chatham. ... 1904-1906
Mrs. J. PL Albright 1906-1911
Mrs. T. W. Field 1911-1912
Miss Sallie Whisnant
(Xow Mrs. W. W. Hagood),
Mrs. W. S. Stewart 1896-1904
Mrs. W. W. Hagood. .. .1904-1912
L. L. Hendren 1890-1891
Jno. R. Brooks 1891-1894
J. H. Weaver 1S94-1899
R. P. Troy 1899-1902
Ella Alley 1902-1905
S. H. Hillard 1905-1907
Pearl Wyche 1907-1908
Blanche Carr Stern,
Mittie Lanier 1890-1891
M. C. Rufty 1892-1893
J. R. Moose 1896
J. D. Arnold 1897-189-8
F. C. Robbins 1S99-1900
W. C. Houston. .. .1901-1905
W. R. Harris 1906-1909
D. A. Beaver 1910-1912
H. T. Hudson 1890-1893
L. J. Hoyle 1896-1897
B. F. Dixon 1898-1900
Sallie Xowlin 1901-1906
L E. Stacey 1907
B. T. Morris 1908-1911
Sallie Thomas 1890
Terrie Buttrick. . . 1904-1905
Ada Buttrick 1906-1908
M. F. Moores 1909-1911
Winston District Mrs.
Miss Nora Dodson 18.94-1899 Miss
Mrs. T. G. Cozart 1900 Mrs.
Mrs. Frank Martin 1901-1905 Mrs.
Mrs. J. N. Atwater 1906 Mrs.
Mrs. Prank Martin 1907-1911 Mrs.
North Wilkesboro District Mrs.
Mrs. W. P. Trogdon 1911 Mrs.
Statesville District Mrs.
Mrs. W. M. Bobbins 1890-1891 Mrs.
Mrs. D. Matt Thompson. 1892-1894
Mrs. Jethro Wilson 1896 Mr.
Mrs. J. B. Atkinson 1897-1907 Mr.
Mrs. D. J. Kimball 1908-1911 Mrs.
Morgantou District Mr.
Mrs. Frank Wood 1893
H. P. Bailey 1896
Mattie Miller 1897
A. J. Gilkey 189S-1900
M. L. Shuping 1901
C. C. Weaver 1902
John Perkins 1903
A. C. Reynolds. .. .1904-1905
Irving- McKay 1906
W. F. Womble. .. .1907-1910
M. B. Goodwin 1911
W. R- Odell 1S90-1891
J. W. Alspaug-h 1892-1894
N. S. Davis 1895-1901
A. L. Smoot 1902-1912
Woman's Missionary Society
(After the Union, 1912)
Mrs. Lucy H. Robertson. 1912-1926
Mrs. Charles C. Weaver . 1926-1928
Mrs. W. W. Hagood. .. .1920-1928
Cor responding Secretaries
Home Department Foreign Department
Mrs. James Atkins 1912-1914 Mrs. L. W. Crawford ... 1912-1915
Mrs. Frank Siler 1914-1915
Mrs. R. L. Hoke 1912-1915
Mrs. P. N. Peacock 1912-1915
Mrs. H. A. Dunham. .. .1915-1928
Mrs. P. N. Peacock 1915-1928
Mrs. P. T. Durham 1912
Mrs. T. F. Marr 1913
Mrs. E. L. Bain 1915
Mrs. G. W. Whitsett 1916
Mrs. W. R. Harris 1923
Superintendents of Young People
Mrs. L. H. Martin 1912
Mrs. P. T. Durham 1913
Mrs. H. K. Boyer 1915
Mrs. W. R. Harris 1917
Mrs. C. C. Weaver 1923
Mrs. Hoke Bulfard 1926
Superintendents of Mission
and Bible Study .
Miss Cora Barp 1912
Mrs. W. R. Harris 1915
Mrs. Fred Ingram 1917
Mrs. R. M. Courtney 1919
Mrs. M. B. Goodwin 1924
Superintendents of Juniors
Mrs. G. G. Harley 1912
Mrs. Mattie Stewart 1914
Miss Amy B. Hackney 1916
Superintendents of Social Service
Mrs. H. A. Dunham 1912
Mrs. T. F. Marr 1915
Mrs. W. A. Newell 1916
Mrs. Fred L. Siler 1921
Mrs. Pierce Wyche 1923
Miss Pearl Weaver 1925
Mrs. J. Dale Stentz 1927
Superintendents of Supplies ■
Mrs. J. D. Woltz 1912
Mrs. J. N. Hauss 1915
Mrs. J. T. Mangum 1924
Mrs. B. T. Morris 1927
Distributor of Literature ,
Mrs. W. C. Houston 1912
Superintendent of Literature
Mrs. S. H. Isler 1923
Director Belle Bennett Memorial
Mrs. W. W. Hagood 1926
Mrs. H. A. Dunham ( Home) . 1912
Mrs. W. R. Harris (Foreign) ,
Mrs. V. L. Stone 1913-1928
Mrs. R. G. Reeves (Home) ... 1912
Mrs. A. E. Fordham (Foreign),
Mrs. J. V. Wilson 1917
Mrs. W. G. Ballard 1921
Mrs. S. V. Dawson 1925
Mrs. M. B. Goodwin 1912
Morganton District became
Marion District in 1!>17
Mrs. M. B. Goodwin 1917
Mrs. J. F. Jonas 1924
Miss Ida May King (Home). 191 2
Mrs. D. A. Beaver (Foreign).
1 9 1 2
Mrs. C. M. Bobbitt 1913
Mrs. J. F. Shinn 1916
Mrs. W. W. Weant 1923
Mrs. W. C. Houston 1925
Mrs. Ida Graham 1927
Mrs. J. N. Dayvault 1928
Mrs. G. G. Ray (Home) 1912
Mrs. W. W. Hagood (Foreign),
Miss Daisy Cuthbertson 1915
Mrs. L. N. Presson 1918
Mrs. Roy S. Smith 1927-1928
Miss Laura M. Jones 1912
Mt. Airy District
Miss Viola Cooper (Home).. 1912
Mrs. T. W. Field ( Foreign) . 191 2
Mrs. E. J. Mathews 1913
Mrs. J. L. Woltz 1915
JVorth Wilkesboro District
Mrs W. F. Trogdon 1912
Mrs. W. C. Coffey 1916
Mrs. W. L. Winkler .1921
Mrs. W. P. Horton 1924
Mrs. Arch Horton 1925
Mrs. Seymour Taylor 1926
Mrs. J. B. Henderson 1928
Mrs. W. M. Morris (Home).. 1912
Mrs. B. T. Morris (Foreign), 1912
Mrs. R. E. Ware 1913
Mrs. B. T. Morris 1915
Mrs. A. J. Owen 1924
Mrs. M. J. Branner (Home).. 1912
Mrs. M. F. Moores (Foreign),
Mrs. A. E. Brown 1913
Mrs. M. D. Cowan 1915
Mrs. J. Dale Stentz 1923
Mis. G. E. Hampton 1927
Mrs. M. M. Courtney (Home), 1912
Mrs. D. J. Kimball (Foreign),
Mrs. D. J. Kimball 1193
Mrs. G. A. Warlick 1916
Mrs. G. M. Foard 1923
Mrs. A. D. Abernathy 1928
Mrs. Duke Hay (Home) 1912
Mrs. Frank Martin (Foreign),
Miss Maude Bohannon 1913
Miss Sallie Nading 1914
Mrs. R. M. Courtney 1915
Mrs. J. K. Norfleet 1916
Mrs. T. B. Apperson 1918
Mrs. D. L. Simpson 1921
Mrs. H. E. Smith 1927
Mrs. M. E. Watkins 1928
1890 lamiary, 1928
rota! Contributions $7.">2,:5i
f -. V
1 IB * - M&
ySHpyj » n ^-*-^^»«
.■^'•'it' .> > T^iJ^^B pF ., *
#, PaH-Ii 1
m \ #•
f ■, . ■ ** ■•■"
^M : ' *»■ '
MiMfl ft* Wu/l
Jp» ji**^ «^^-.'.-
K»w .... ft -^ -V-
2 t$t~" *^ *
1 vW. ^dKriljt^,...
Woman* s Board of Foreign Missions
Meetings of special interest to our Conference were the
two meetings of the Woman's Board of Foreign Missions
which were held in Greensboro in 1898 and in Asheville in
Let us quote from the "History of Woman's Foreign
Missionary Society," by Mrs. F. A. Butler, who was present
at these meetings.
"When the members of the Woman's Board assembled
in Greensboro for the first time on the sod of the Old North
State to hold the twentieth annual meeting they were buoy-
ant with hope and felt that a new era of financial prosperity
had dawned in response to urgent praver. There was no
compromise with faith nor with any of the promises of God,
for every one knew that 'Faith without works is dead.'
"Strenuous work had crowned the efforts of the women
and girded them with gladness. The Corresponding Secre-
tary, Mrs. S. C. Trueheart, said: 'While twenty years of
foreign missionary work have given a more commanding
faith, broader views and higher hopes in the prosecution
of the work at home, at the same time the tremendous forces
of heathendom are more fully realized.'
"Concerning the foreign work she said: 'For twenty
years the Woman's Board has been at work seeking to carry
out God's will concerning the nations of the earth. Though
marked by no startling achievements during these years,
there has been steady progress, creditable development; and
today flourishing missions in China, Mexico and Brazil are
maintained.' She might have added the Indian Mission
work as this work among the wild tribes is equally suc-
This meeting was presided over by Mrs. M. B. Wight-
man, of Soudi Carolina, and Mrs. T. B. Hargrove was
Recording Secretary. Vice-Presidents at that time were
Miss Maria L. Gibson, Mrs. A. W. Wilson and Mrs. H. N.
McTyeire was Treasurer.
Thirty-four Conferences were represented by their
secretaries and the reports of our missionary work in both
home and foreign fields was most encouraging.
DREW UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
144 00486620 7
An occasion of interest to our Conference was the
beautiful Memorial service held during the meeting, honor-
ing the memory of two Corresponding Secretaries who had
passed away during the year, Mrs. F. M. Bumpass, of
Western North Carolina Conference, and Mrs. Morgan
Calloway, of the North Georgia Conference.
Beautiful tributes to each of these faithful workers
were given, those to "Aunt Bumpass" being given by Mrs.
Lucy H. Robertson, Mrs. F. D. Swindell and Dr. and Mrs.
Jesse Cunninggim, who spoke of the beauty and holiness
that was exhibited in the life of this saintly woman.
THE ASHEVILLE MEETING
The year 1901 marked the twenty-third annual meet-
ing of the Woman's Foreign Mission Board, which was
held in Central Church, Asheville, N. C. Again we quote
Mrs. F. A. Butler, "This meeting will long be remembered
as one set apart in the annals of the Board.
"One of the most interesting things that can occur at
such a time is the return of the missionaries, whose enduring
faithfulness through many years has endeared them to the
people; and another is the acceptance and appointment of
those who are venturing on this untried experience and yet
are full of hope and enthusiasm."
Dr. Young J. Allen's presence at this meeting was an
inspiration. He was in Atlanta, Ga., when the Board was
organized and had kept in close touch with its progress in
all the intervening years. Seven returned missionaries were
present and gave vivid glimpses of the people among whom
they had lived and of the work in which they had been
engaged. Twelve young women were presented to the
Board for appointment to foreign fields, and Mrs. Bishop
Wilson^ who with her husband had spent the preceding year
in China, Korea and Japan, brought interesting reports
from the nations visited. This meeting was also presided
over by Mrs. M. D. Wightman, and Mrs. S. C. Trueheart
was still Corresponding Secretary.